Creating High Impact Business Reports in Excel
Duration: 90 minsNo matter what business you are in, a report is a critical tool in your communication armory. As with any communication tool, presentation is everything. Get it right and it offers the reader a valuable insight into the Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) upon which projects and businesses are measured. Get it wrong and you'll end up with something that nobody understands and nobody wants to read.
ObjectivesThe training will focus on 3 areas - creating summary reports using Pivot Tables; creating eye-catching charts, and presenting geographic-based data.
1. In the pivot tables section, you'll learn how to create a basic pivot table, display numbers as a percentage (no formulas, arithmetic or programming required!), make the pivot table eye-catchingly appealing to read and then group the data (by month or numeric range).
2. In the visual communication (charts/graphs) section, you'll learn how to enhance and customize a standard chart ("from drab to fab") as well as how to create infographic-style charts using nothing but Excel.
3. The final part of the training will focus on Excel's Power Map tool (2013 and 2016 only) which lets you plot geographic (country, region, state etc) data on an interactive 3-D globe or custom map.
Topics covered:1. Charts
- Style and design tips & tricks to tell your story / convince your audience
- Create powerful infographics using built-in Excel functionality
- The fundamentals
- Percentages in 5 clicks without formulas
- Fonts, number formatting, and layout options
- Grouping data based on month or numeric ranges
- An Excel add-in that lets you display and analyse geographic data as a visual map (2013 & 2016 only)
Why you should attendIn this training session, you'll learn not only how to turn raw data into meaningful information, but also how to present that data in a visually attractive way. This training will provide you with a solid foundation to apply to your own reports.
Who should attend
This training is aimed at existing users of Excel who need to learn how to create visually impactful Excel reports. The training will be delivered using the latest version of 2016 for Windows although for users of earlier versions, some of the functionality is available in Excel 2010 and much of the functionality is available in Excel 2013. IMPORTANT: PowerMap is not available in Excel 2010.
About the Speaker
Mike Thomas has worked in the IT training business since 1989. He is a subject matter expert in a range of technologies including Microsoft Office and Apple Mac. Mike has produced nearly 200 written and video-based Excel tutorials, and hundreds of courses and webinars on a wide variety of technology-related topics.
Mike is a Fellow of The Learning and Performance Institute and has worked with and for a large number of global and UK-based companies and organizations across a diverse range of sectors.
In addition to training, he also designs and develops Microsoft Office-based solutions that automate key business tasks and processes.